When you need a new roof there can be so many options for you to consider. Whether your roof has succumbed to the elements or you simply want a new one, making the right decision can be hard.
Don’t worry, this article will guide you through a few top tips. These tips can help to make choosing a new roof much easier.
Understand The Cost Of The Roof
The cost of replacing a roof may not be something that you’re accustomed with. However, any reputable roofing contractor will tell you that there’s no set price. The cost of a roof can depend on many different factors such as:
- How large the roof is
- The type of roof that you want
- How sloped the roof is
- Whether you want to walk on the roof
- The types of materials that you want your roof to be comprised of
- What you want your new roof to look like
- How long you want your new roof to last
Every single roof in your neighborhood is likely to be slightly different. Some of your neighbors may prefer a different color roof, others may want it to look very modern. The cost of the roof can depend on many factors. Bear this in mind when you’re thinking about buying a new roof.
Learn About The Different Roofing Materials
Millions of people have some or all of their roofs replaced every year. Some people opt for asphalt roofs, others opt for slate. There are quite a few different roofing materials around, some of which may be more suitable for your roof than others.
The different roofing materials are:
- Asphalt – Asphalt is the most commonly used material. It’s not very costly and it’s easy to install. Available in 2 different thicknesses asphalt isn’t particularly pretty but it can last for many years.
- Cement and tile – Cement and tile roofing materials are some of the most expensive. However, roofs made from these materials can last for a very long time. In addition to this, roofs made from cement or tile can look good.
- Metal – If you are looking for a roof with a seamless finish metals can be ideal. However, a metal roof can be one of the most expensive roofs out there.
- Slate – While not all slate is the same, a slate roof can be highly durable. It’s a roof that can look old but with a classic touch. If you want to use as many recycled materials as you can in your roof then slate could be the material you need.
- Wood – Wood roofs tend to be few and far between these days. While this type of roof can have a nice finish it tends to be a major fire risk. Lasting for about 25 years wood roofs are typically made from redwood or cedar.
As you can see, there are quite a few different materials to consider. Some of the above materials may be ideal for your home. Other materials may simply not be good enough. Think about what you want from your roof and what you want it to look like. This will help you to understand which materials are more ideal.
Checking the Roof’s Frame
Did you know that your roof’s frame can impact how well your roof functions? If there is an issue with the frame water could get in. This is why it always makes sense for you to take a look at the frame. You don’t always have to be an expert to spot when there’s something wrong.
Take a look at the frame and make a note of any issues. You can always ask a roofing specialist to also have a look. They may be able to advise you as to what improvements need to be made. Bear the advice that they give you in mind. A little work on the roof’s frame could potentially protect your home even more than it already does.
Replacing The Roof Yourself
Most people won’t even think about replacing a roof themselves. If you are considering working on your roof you should ideally have some experience. Replacing a damaged roof can be a lot of work. In addition to this, it could be more complicated than you realize.
If you know exactly how to replace a roof you could save yourself some money. However, if you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s worth hiring a professional to help you. Hiring a professional means you’re less likely to have a leaky roof.
Use the above tips to help you when you’re choosing a new roof. There may be more factors for you to consider than you realized. However, bearing them in mind can help you to end up with a roof that looks good and helps to protect your home.